Sew Every Day Challenge: Week 8 (or, “Please, just go to sleep!”)

This week, I hustled to get my Lindens done before my (self-imposed) September 1 deadline. I did it, but it was a struggle as the baby was having a particularly needy, wakeful, fussy week.

Date: Monday, August 28

Time sewing: 30 minutes

What I did: I sewed the seams I pinned on Sunday, and when that only took 7 minutes, I sewed the sleeves to shirt backs and pinned all the side seams. I only got to sew one before the baby started fussing, but I got done more than I expected!

Date: Tuesday, August 29

Time sewing: 25 minutes

What I did: I finished sewing the side seams and pressed all the cuffs and pocket.

Date: Wednesday, August 30

Time sewing: 5 minutes; 15 minutes

What I did: I pinned on the cuffs and collars. That’s it. The baby was super fussy. I wore her for a bit, but she wasn’t having any of it, so it was short-lived.

Date: Thursday, August 31

Time sewing: 25 minutes

What I did: I serged the cuffs and collars.

Date: Friday, September 1

Time sewing: 1 hour 10 minutes; 15 minutes

What I did: The baby was in a ridiculously good mood today and hung out happily in her swing before falling asleep there, allowing me to press and sew all the hems on both tops and sew on the pocket. I immediately put on the yellow sweatshirt dress as I’ve been excited to wear it since the hubby gifted me it for our anniversary last November. I wore it around the house for about a half hour and realized something just looked weird. After a bit of wear, it bunched up at my waist and bagged funny. So I just chopped it off and sewed on a cuff like the rest of my Lindens. It took about 15 minutes and I’m super glad I did it. I love this top already!

Date: Saturday, September 2

Time sewing: zero

What I did: We’ve gone away for the weekend and since I just finished my batch of Lindens, I don’t really have any portable sewing to do. I decided to dedicate my weekend to getting some progress done on the cardigan I’m knitting and get caught up on blog posts.

Date: Sunday, September 3

Time sewing: zero

What I did: See above

Total time sewing this week: 3 hours 5 minutes

What I learned:

  • Sometimes you don’t mess with a good thing. I opted to hack my Linden pattern into a longer dress-version for the sake of variety, but it just didn’t work. I’m totally okat with having four of the exact same top.
  • I still need to work on hemming knits. I went with my machine’s stretch stitch instead of the twin needle, but I had a hard time keeping the hem flat – especially on the slightly rounded hem on the cropped, short-sleeved Linden. The hem tended to roll and I had to fold the fabric in at the side seams to make it lay flat. I had a feeling this might happen when I cut out the pattern, so I think I could probably prevent it the next time I make one up.
  • It’s okay to take a vacation from sewing. I felt stressed this summer when I held myself to sewing each day I was away. It was nice to not have to prep sewing to take with me on top of all the other things I needed to get ready.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s