As I said in my previous post, I made this dress once before and made a total mess of the inside. I would be so embarassed if anyone were to look at the inside, but I can’t bear to get rid of it because I still love the cut and fabric. I was determined to make this version better.
I exceeded even my expectations! I have never been so proud of the lining of a garment. I made some minor adjustments (I cut the skirt extra full and gathered it instead of doing pleats) but the big thing was how I bound the hem. I made probably close to 10 metres of bias tape out of the coordinating solid green (using two fat quarters). If you haven’t heard, bias tape might be my new favourite thing to make and I fall more and more in love each time I find a use for it.
I Bound the zipper and the hem using the bias tape, referring to Gertie’s book for better sewing. I did more handsewing on this project than every before, but I am really glad I did. I know the dress is going to be super toasty (yay!) as I was sweating just having it on my lap for the hand-hemming (the joys of sewing for fall during the height of the summer.)
I finished it all off with a simple little belt and I am so glad. I think this is going to become something I do with every dress.