This jacket was both a long time coming and an impulse make. I have been watching just about everyone make a Kelly Anorak by Closet Case Patterns. I initially thought that I didn’t have time to sew one, and, when I first looked at the pattern, thought it was exclusively available as an unlined jacket (which is essentially useless in Ottawa). On a recent fabric shopping trip to Montreal, I told myself I would “keep an eye out” for fabrics and hardware that might be suitable for an eventual Kelly. Obviously, I found awesome fabric and obviously I had to power-sew it before I would need it. It also became evident that I would need something cozy and dry to tuck the baby into on the rainy, cold days – it’s hard to push a stroller and hold an umbrella.
I love Linden! As you saw in my post last week, I’ve been on a tear making Grainline Studio’s Linden Sweatshirt and over the next few weeks, I’ll be writing about all the different versions I made.
I always, always make a muslin. Often, I’ll make tester garments for stretchy stuff out of actual muslin (to make sure that I don’t have too much negative ease on my hips causing tops to ride up), but I figured I would use up some scrap and test out finishing techniques.
This week, I hustled to get my Lindens done before my (self-imposed) September 1 deadline. I did it, but it was a struggle as the baby was having a particularly needy, wakeful, fussy week.