Done and Done: Closet Case Patterns Sewing Machine and Serger Covers

What the opposite of a labour of love? That’s definitely what was going on with these machine covers. By the end I was basically hate-sewing the dang things. I don’t think I’ve made anything quite so messy insides in a very, very long time. In any case, here goes!

These covers have been a long time coming. Ive been making sewing machine covers since we moved into this apartment and my sewing space has been in the livomg room. That was three and a half years ago. I intended on making some quilted covers after my daughter was born because I figured I wouldn’t want to sew clothes newly post partum. I collected a pattern, quilting cotton scraps and a beginner book from my Aunt. None of it got used. We’re rearranging our apartment soon to move my son into my daughter’s room and my sewing space is eventually ending up in our bedroom. I figured it was finally time.

I used the Closet Case Patterns Sewing Machine and Serger Cover Patterns. They seemed simple enough and I liked the clean lines. They should be an easy and quick sew, but I made a few questionable decisions that made things a lot more complicated.

I knew I needed some kind of canvas or drapery fabric that had a good amount of body. I didn’t want anything too printed or colourful, and ended up going with a neutral shoe canvas because it seemed to fit the bill. I couldn’t find piping I liked, so I opted to make my own and toyed with the idea of dyeing it with avocado pits. The ladies at the store convinced me to get a puffy sort of drapery cording for the piping instead of the small cord recommended and promised me it would squish down to the size I wanted (spoiler alert, it didn’t).

I prewashed my canvas and it softened up so much it got really floppy. Not a problem, I said. I’ll get some fusible fleece! Except Fabrications was out and Fabricland had no idea what I was talking about. They talked me into getting a two-sided fusible craft interfacing that’s pretty stiff. It’s used in the brims of hats which I’ll be able to use in a project coming up so I thought I’d give it a try. I cut my interfacing to fit the pieces minus the seam allowance, knowing it was waaay too thick to sew into the seams. I figured I would fuse my sparkly pink linen to the inside as I didn’t see myself using it for clothes, but it still seemed like a bit of a waste.

The instructions on the interfacing said to fuse it with a hot, dry iron for five seconds on each side, so I figured I could get away with only fusing to the one side and save the linen. Bad idea. Five seconds was definitely not long enough to fuse well (as I should have known) and parts of it have started peeling. What’s worse is that I struggled to sew everything perfectly straight due to the very rigid nature of the interfacing so the interfacing got caught in some parts of the seams and not in others. Ah well.

The piping is also way too big. It doesn’t look awful, but it’s bigger than I wanted and doesn’t achieve the look I was going for. It was also a massive pain to sew. I broke a needle and had to stop and start sewing too many times to count. I’m happy with the dye job, but that’s about it.

Hemming was also a huge hassle. The interfacing made it impossible to manoeuvre the cover and the piping made it so I could only turn the hem under once. I had to be extremely careful going over the piping as it was so thick and impossible to sew over.

The other part I quite like about the covers is the pockets. I managed to get a really nice ombré with the avocado dye and it looks super pretty. I added pockets to the backs of the serger covers to hold the pedals. I just wish the pocket was visible at the front.

So. What should have been quick and easy turned into a string of minor disasters. The covers look okay from the outside, but the inside is a complete disaster. I don’t love them and will probably try to remake them eventually. At least now I can wait until I’ve found the right fabric 🤷‍♀️

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s