Done and done: a knee-length Kelly Anorak

So a year ago I set out to make a coat. I did, and it is rad, but apparently cordura + quilted lining = extra cosy winter jacket and not the transitional light coat I actually needed. I continued to suffer through a whole year of in-between weather wearing a cropped moto jacket (too short for literally all my cardigans) and a nylon rain coat (zero insulation and actually pretty terrible at keeping me dry.)

So FINALLY I gathered the materials I needed to make a basic, black fall coat but life happened and I didn’t even get close to starting it until way into October. By then, I was desparate for an easy, long jacket that would take my through ’til the snow flew, but struggled to find a basic, semi-casual (but also fast) pattern that would reach my knees. I considered the Kelly Anorak, but couldn’t find anyone online who had lengthened it and worried I would have to add some kind of slit or vent to allow my legs to move.

I then agonized over this for a significant amount of time and finally said to heck with it and got started. I decided I would just lengthen the Kelly straight down and change literally nothing else – no vent, no grading – and see what would happen. If it didn’t work out, whatevs. I would just cut it back to the regular length and still wear my barely-there rain sheath with a fleece until I could wear a parka.

But, guess what, guys? It totally worked. I lengthened all of the body and placket pieces by 5.5 inches. My original Kelly was already a bit long as I cut it at the size 16 length even though I’m really short. For anyone else, I’d say you need to lengthen by about 7 inches. I used the zipper from the Closet Case hardware kit which ends 6-8 inches from the bottom of the coat. I added snaps all the way down, so one is a few inches below the end of the zipper in case I really want to close it all the way up. The slightly open front allows me to sit comfortably and move like normal. This pattern has so much ease, however, it’s really not necessary.

The only other change I made was to add a ribbed cuff between the lining and outer fabric. I made a thumbhole cuff for my first Kelly, but find I don’t really use it. The ribbed cuff, however, is amazing if you’re looking for a jacket that’s a little more weather proof. It will hold your mitts in and keep the breeze off your wrists.

This coat really is perfect. I used a heavy cotton-poly twill for the outer fabric and a black and white plaid for my lining. When I ordered my hardware kit, I asked Closet Case to throw in a couple extra snaps for my extra long coat, which they must have as I have a couple left over (I used 10 FYI). I wore it to a rainy, cold farm at night for a haunted wagon ride and was perfectly fine. I’m sooooooo happy I managed to whip this up in time to wear at least a few times before it gets really cold. I’m probably going to just layer a thousand sweaters under it and try to wear it til Christmas (because I can now that it is longer than all my Blackwoods!) Seriously, you think you love your Anorak now, but wait ’til you make a lovely long one.

2 Comments Add yours

  1. acraftyscrivener says:

    Such a great idea! I am mulling over a navy twill one…. long enough for my Blackwoods, too!

  2. joe says:

    very nice! The lining cuffs came out perfect.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s