I bought this adorable navy polka dot jersey with the cute grey bikes last summer. Like the bikes, I saved this fabric for a top I thought I would wear all the time. After the success of my super quick tunic, I figured another boxy top would be a big hit. I decided to jazz it up a bit with contrast cuffs and a rounded hem, but it came out all wrong. The fabric had too much body for a drapey top and the rounded hem stuck out weird. I shoved the top in a box and decided I would figure out what to do with it later.
I picked up a slightly heavier navy knit in a remnant bin totally on impulse and realized when I got home it was way too small to do anything with. In my defense, the length was written in centimeters and I sew in yards and inches. I thought that I might have juuuuust enough of this and the polka dots to make the cropped View B of the Linden.
My original plan was to do the shirt front and back in the polka dots and do the sleeves in the solid, but I just didn’t have enough. As it was, I had to chop off a 1/4 inch of seam allowance at one corner to fit the shirt back pattern piece on the solid navy. So polka dot sleeves it would be – but that wasn’t enough polka dot for me, so I added a pocket.
This is the one Linden I haven’t worn yet. I’m not really sure how I feel about a short-sleeved sweatshirt and I know I’m not keen on cropped tops, so this will likely be the least worn of my Linden collection. I do love the pocket though and I’m intrigued by the possibility of layering it over a button-down top (I’ve got two Archers coming up).