It looks like a jacket!

I got the book I've been drooling over for Christmas! Needless to say, I have been reading like a fiend.
I got the book I’ve been drooling over for Christmas! Needless to say, I have been reading like a fiend.

Time spent: 3.5 hrs

Total time: 12 hrs

Last night and this morning I got the front facings on and basted, as well as getting the back together and attached to the sides. It finally looks like clothes and not weird rectangles of fabric. It’s hard to get too excited about my progress, though, when I remember this is only the practice jacket.

One thing I’ve already resolved to do on the final product is really spend time at the beginning to thread trace all of my markings. This time around, I only marked with chalk and much of those lines were sort of crooked and rubbed off anyway.

The front on the dress form. The bust needs a lot of alterations. The white lines are there to help see if things hang square to the floor.
The front on the dress form. The bust needs a lot of alterations. The white lines are there to help see if things hang square to the floor.

I’ve had to re-mark many things (which is extremely hard when pieces have already been sewn together or darts have been made). One thing motivating me to thread trace is the silk thread I bought for marking. It slides much more easily and makes less marks on the fabric than cotton. And just feels amazing between my fingers.

The jacket is together and on the dress form and already I can see some alterations that need to be made. The bust is much to large and the waist needs to come in a bit, too. I have never been good at alterations, so I plan to do quite a bit of research before I do anything. The idea is to make the practice garment fit perfectly and transfer the alterations to the pattern. This means that the final piece will be cut to size and need little to no alterations.

The beautiful back. I've thread-traced the hem. I learned my lesson and won't mark with only chalk any more.
The beautiful back. I’ve thread-traced the hem. I learned my lesson and won’t mark with only chalk any more.

In my research, I came across e-sewing workshop, to which I have considered subscribing. I decided to sign up for a 24-hour trial. I had access to a wonderful video on how to alter shoulders on an already-constructed jacket. The video was useful in that it gave me an idea as to how tailors mark and baste alterations. Before, I simply pinned and guessed. There were no more videos on tailoring a jacket, so I decided not to pay for a year subscription. I also wanted to be able to post any videos I use so that others can benefit from my research. At any rate, the videos I accessed are visible in part on youtube. Here’s the link.

My plan is to only baste the alterations and mark them in thread tracings so I can later take apart the jacket and transfer the alterations to the pattern. This way, when I cut the fabric for the “good copy,” the jacket will require very little fittings.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s