Time spent: 2 hrs
Total time: 8hrs 30
After a week’s hiatus, I am back at the jacket. I got several new tools for Christmas and am super excited to continue my couture journey better stocked (Thanks to mom and her wonderful assistant, my aunt!)
I received a lot of neat stuff for organizing (bobbin case, pattern box, thread organizers), and some nifty tools. Some you’d be surprised I didn’t yet own, others you may never have heard of (I sure hadn’t!). Here’s a list if you’re interested:
-mechanical chalk pencil
-curve ruler (for making and altering patterns, used for shoulders, collars, sleeves, etc)
-tailor’s ham (for pressing open curved seams)
And many other things I am forgetting at present.
Today, I got back at the jacket and worked on the pockets. I had to re-do one side I had completed before the holidays because I could not get it to sit straight. After that, I learned how to sew a fell stitch in order to attach some of the basted folds at the pocket opening to the body of the jacket. I had to re-stitch these tiny portions three times each because I had trouble getting the pieces to lay flat, but the end result looks great (at least, I think so). After that, I sewed the pocket linings together, creating an actual pocket that can hold things. Lastly, I sewed the side sections to the existing front panels. The jacket is finally starting to take shape!