Sew Every Day Challenge: Week 12

As my self-imposed deadline for my fall capsule approaches, I am sewing with increased mania. I’m also heading away for a mid-week getaway to Montreal (for fabric shopping and a Hanson concert, what elese?) and reeeeeallllly want to get my last Archer done before then. Oh, and I also decided to throw a third, unplanned Archer into the mix. wish me luck!

Date: Monday, September 25

Time sewing: 1 hour; 20 minutes

What I did: I decided to not only sew up an Archer in that gorgeous cream and metallic windowpane check, but I also thought I’d throw in a sleeveless polka dot chambray number, too. Today, I pinned and cut out aaaaaalllll of that.

Date: Tuesday, September 26

Time sewing: 15 minutes; 5 minutes; 1 hour; 20 minutes

What I did: When scheduling out the steps for this week, I forgot a couple of huuuge ones, including serging EVERYTHING. Determined to stay on track, I busted my butt today and cut out the interfacing, fused it and serged everything. That was pretty much my whole day.

Date: Wednesday, September 27

Time sewing: 15 minuntes; 1 hour

What I did: I took some time to tuck in serger tails while watching Outlander (apparently tucking in serger tails is an early-in-the-week activity?), then I set about getting the backs ready and putting on the yokes. I’m doing view B for both of these tops, so I had to do a fair bit of gathering, but it was straightforward and didn’t take too long. I re-watched the sew-along video, but found it way easier (and faster) to do it this time.

Date: Thursday, September 28

Time sewing: 40 minutes; 10 minutes

What I did: The baby didn’t sleep as long as I had hoped, so I didn’t get as much done in the morning. I got the plackets done and the sleeves in on the cream version, but I had hoped to bind the arm holes on the sleeveless. I’m not too behind (and I gave myself two extra days, just in case.)

Date: Friday, September 29

Time sewing: 5 minutes; 50 minutes; 5 minutes; 1 hour, 5 minutes

What I did: I was starting to feel stressed about finishing Monday since I didn’t accomplish what I set out to yesterday and I had a busy weekend coming up. I managed to catch up (though I still didn’t bind the armholes on the sleeveless) by using any spare minute to pin. I got the side seams done and managed to get the collars completely finished and on. Fewf!

Date: Saturday, September 30

Time sewing: 0

What I did: I had family visiting and wasn’t able to sneak in any sewing.

Date: Sunday, October 1

Time sewing: 1 hour

What I did: I didn’t sew for a straight hour, as I took a break in the middle to put away groceries. I finished the cuffs on the the top with sleeves. All I have left is to hem, do buttons and bind the sleeves on the sleeveless. I theoretically want to get all this done tomorrow (!??!?!?!), but that maaaay not happen. The sleeveless gets priority as I am fairly certain it’s what I want to wear to the concert Tuesday. Wish me luck!

Total time sewing this week: 8 hours 10 minutes

What I learned:

  • Batch-sewing rocks. More on this later.
  • Sew-alongs are still great the second (and third time around). Even though I have a pretty good handle on all the steps in making up an Archer, I find the photo step-by-step instructions online way easier to follow than the instruction booklet.
  • It is impressive how much one can accomplish when scheduling sewing out on a calendar. I cannot believe how much I’ve gotten done in August and September. I may need to start doing this regularly.

One Comment Add yours

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s